NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders

Created by riders for riders, to discuss and organise rides, social gatherings & events

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  B O M Weather MapB O M Weather Map  NSW Meeting Places NSW Meeting Places  
Similar topics
Latest topics
» New to Sydney, no bike yet
Mon Aug 07 2017, 10:31 by kurviger

» New young rider in Sydney
Mon Aug 07 2017, 00:56 by Tomosapien

» Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil
Wed Jul 26 2017, 19:37 by BOB88R

» New to Bikes
Thu Jun 22 2017, 16:17 by chuckchunder

» New member from The Illawarra
Sat Jun 17 2017, 11:09 by Pete

» Return to the fold
Fri Mar 31 2017, 07:42 by Ed

Wed Dec 07 2016, 02:26 by Danielle143

» in the riverina
Sun Oct 30 2016, 23:27 by Jasen Doidge

» Hello Everybody
Fri Feb 12 2016, 07:24 by jd

» Hello everyone !!
Sun Jan 31 2016, 09:39 by Ed

Share | 

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Ed
Admin

Number of posts : 6588
Registration date : 2008-08-04
Male

PostSubject: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat May 29 2010, 19:08

First topic message reminder :

RossT, a member of NSWR, is associated with Gulf Western Oil at St Marys. Gulf Western Oil have created a group account for NSW Riders members only. Members may purchase a range of quality motorcycle oils at prices less that we can otherwise get from general retailers. More importantly, the oils are deemed better than what is generally available.

N.B. Gulf Western Oil has moved from Penrith to St Marys. New address is shown below.

Ross previously gave a presentation to a group of NSWR members. The pictures taken appear below.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/Fasteddie57/Saturday29thMay2010GulfWesternOilVisit#

If you would like to purchase oils, please contact Ross/Gulf Western at the following. Mention that you are from NSW Riders. Delivery can be arranged where sufficient quantities are purchased. Delivery costs apply.

http://www.gulfwestern.com.au

New Address:

92 Links Road, St Marys.
Phone 02 9673 9600

sales@gulfwestern.com.au

NSW Rider Member # 3
FarRider Member # 481
FR10 # 16 Euston NSW
FR10 # 17 Eungella QLD
FR10 # 18 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 # 19 Lightning Ridge NSW
FR10 # 20 Renmark SA
FR10 # 22 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 # 23 Bathurst NSW (via Wagga)
FR12 # 26 Mallacoota Vic
FR12 Gold # 28 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 #30 Cooroy QLD
FR10 # 37 Texas QLD

Last edited by Ed on Tue Feb 04 2014, 21:36; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Ed
Admin

Number of posts : 6588
Registration date : 2008-08-04
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Thu Apr 14 2011, 16:54

That's great Kurt. That reminds me that we should chat with Ross about another visit to GW for a lecture on oils and a tour of the factory. Ross, how about Saturday 4th June?

NSW Rider Member # 3
FarRider Member # 481
FR10 # 16 Euston NSW
FR10 # 17 Eungella QLD
FR10 # 18 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 # 19 Lightning Ridge NSW
FR10 # 20 Renmark SA
FR10 # 22 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 # 23 Bathurst NSW (via Wagga)
FR12 # 26 Mallacoota Vic
FR12 Gold # 28 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 #30 Cooroy QLD
FR10 # 37 Texas QLD
Back to top Go down
RossT

Number of posts : 809
Registration date : 2009-08-29
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Thu Apr 14 2011, 19:16

June 4 looks good Ed, I've just put it in the diary to be confirmed.

We have been so busy this year that I rarely have a weekend that isn't booked up so planning this far ahead should work.

It will be a good excuse for me to ride to the office.

I'm in New Zealand at the moment and have just had Nathan on the line talking about oil for his new Blade and his dads Rav 4 and it's nice to hear of the good results that the members are getting.....and saving money.

You do not need to pay rip off prices...yes I'll repeat that....rip off prices....to buy high performance oils for your bike.

Many of the foreign owned companies have been looting riders for years with high margin products.

There has been a lot of NSW Riders who have been buying Gulf Western for some time now and all have been very happy with the results.

Ed, see what sort of response you get for this date and we will lock it in. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MENACE

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-12-07
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Fri Apr 15 2011, 18:33

Ross, thanks for your time yesterday it's good to get honest answers about a product that is shrouded in myth and bull$hit.

Rather than bother you again with another phone call while you're busy in NZ, I'm hoping you can clarify my poor handwriting following your suggestions. Unfortunately, I think I have the oils you suggested for my bike mixed up with what's needed for the Rav4. For some reason, I've written down Premium Energy 10w30 for the first 5000km (in the bike) then Synex3000 for the next 5000km. But looking at the GW website, the Premium Energy10w30 is listed as an energy conserving oil, which, as I understand it, is no good for motorcycle slipper clutches.

It would be much appreciated if you can tell me what I've mixed up.

Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Fri Apr 15 2011, 20:09

Nathan ah sorry....Jack

Premium Energy does not contain any friction modifiers so it is suitable for your Blade during break in whether it has a standard clutch or a slipper clutch.

You are correct in being cautious about the term "energy conserving" because some manufacturers incorporate friction modifiers in order to achieve an energy conserving rating.

GW Premium Energy is classified as energy conserving due to it's lower viscosity but I feel does not offer enough film strength to provide high level component protection once your engine is run in....so keep the revs under about 10,000 for the first 5,000 km.
Back to top Go down
MENACE

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-12-07
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Fri Apr 15 2011, 20:19

Thanks heaps, Ross.

Not sure about the 'keep it under 10,00rpm' racket. But I'll do my best scratch Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Fri Apr 15 2011, 23:39

aussiedude wrote:
Just bought some Protecta Ultra for my Beemer, for a excellent price (less than 1/2 price of Motul) Very Happy , once I change it, I will write up what I think.

Well, changed the oil on the BMW today to GW Protecta Ultra 15w-50 and am so far very pleased Very Happy Very Happy .
The bike warms up quicker, runs smoother, slightly more responsive & the bike idles a shit-load smoother (& all this difference has occured in only 50kms since the oil change, so it can only get better Smile ).

Thanks for setting up the NSWRiders account Ross. I definately be back for more oil when the next service is due.
Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat Apr 16 2011, 05:12

Our pleasure Kurt.

I get a kick out of being able to supply a product which is both lower in price and also higher in performance.

It's not often that you can do both but because we are an Australian company we do not have to pay millions of dollars in licence fees and royalties to an overseas parent company which then adds to the operating and manufacturing costs and therefore the cost of the product.

Back to top Go down
Mick On R1

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-06-07
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Wed Apr 20 2011, 13:58

After reading all through this thread i am very interested in buying some Protecta Ultra for my 2008 R1, im regularly using very high RPM and am forever doing wheelies so i would only ever use the absolute best oils possible. Im currently using Motul 7100.
I do believe your oils to be a great product but please explain to me why your oils are "higher in performance". Its just that i do believe you are right about the other companies over charging for their oils but i find it hard to believe that their oils may not be the highest of quality. If your oils are of the same quality of what im using at a lower price then you have just gained many customers, if your oils are of better quality then you have again gained many customers but i would be left wondering about these other companies that spend millions of dollars on research.

BTW i think it is great what you are doing for our group be providing the NSW Riders account.
Back to top Go down
Mick On R1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Wed Apr 20 2011, 14:03

Also what oil would you suggest for a dirt bikes? I have a 2007 Yamaha WR450..
Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Wed Apr 20 2011, 15:46

Mick,

There is nothing wrong with the quality of products from other reputable oil blenders, however most multi nationals formulate for European and northern hemisphere conditions because that is where their largest volume markets are.

As we are an Australian based and owned blender we formulate specifically for our own conditions which is why our products usually offer higher film strenth and therefore better component protection .

Our products would not work as well in Germany at minus 10 C but that is not where they are designed for.

We also do not have to pay millions of dollars in license fees for logo usage and marketing support or operating royalties to an overseas parent company.... because we do not have one. Thus we are not liable for this added cost of doing business and are able to reflect that in our selling price.

We are also currently in a huge growth phase and work on fairly skinny margins in order to maintain our growth.

It is worth noting that oil companies do not do the research and development required to satisfy new automotive specifications.

There are a number of major technology / additive companies such as Lubrizol, Oronite, Afton etc who do the R and D necessary to develop new formulas when a new specification is about to be released by the various controlling bodies.

These companies develop the formula, have it tested then licensed then go to the market with their package.

Lube blenders then buy that technology (and the chemicals required) from thier preferred supplier and blend in the approved base oils within the parameters allowed to suit thier own performance, marketing and cost objectives.

The only major R and D done by most companies is in areas which are a bit unique such as food grade lubicants, cutting oils and some specialized industrial oils.

I am in Invercargil at the moment, with one of my reps, and thismorning called on a big bike repairer who changed from a well known French oil two years ago to Gulf Western.

The owner told me that he is now selling oil for a 30% lower price, making more profit and his customers are all very happy with the product performance.

I have been in the lubricants industry for a very long time and would not use any oil in my own bikes unless I was 150% happy with it.

I fully recommend Protecta Ultra for you R1 and also for your WR.

It's probably an overkill but I also use it my 250 dirt bikes and quad bikes on the farm.

Let me know if you need any more information or if I can be of further assistnace anytime
Back to top Go down
Mick On R1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Wed Apr 20 2011, 16:07

Thanks for the reply, I will be making an order today for 20l of Protecta Ultra.
Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Thu Apr 21 2011, 06:02

Mick,

just ask for Greg or Rita and mention the NSW Riders COD account

They will look after you
Back to top Go down
b1b2

Number of posts : 3510
Registration date : 2008-08-05
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Thu Apr 28 2011, 12:29

come to think if Protecta Ultra is avail in Fully-syn ?
as i usually put in Motul-7100
is fully-syn that much better ?

FR #483, NSWR #4, Wakefield $50 Lic #243*0 What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.it

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Thu Apr 28 2011, 13:12

b1b2 wrote:
come to think if Protecta Ultra is avail in Fully-syn ?
as i usually put in Motul-7100
is fully-syn that much better ?

Protecta Ultra is only available as a Semi-Synthetic oil. GW do have other fully synthetic oils if that's what you'd prefer, just download & take a look at the product catalogue.

As for fully syn vs semi-syn, that is probably a question best left for Ross.
Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Thu Apr 28 2011, 18:55

Unless you are racing or looking to do extended oil drains you will get better protection from a semi synthetic.

We use higher spec. group 11 base oils and the mineral oil molecule has a greater affinity for metal surfaces so it gets the anti wear additive right down to where it will give the best protection. Protecta Ultra then has the backing of 30% PAO synthetic which gives that extra protection against heat stress, extreme revs etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat May 07 2011, 11:04

So, I serviced my Honda C90 the other day, & since I had some Protecta Ultra left over from my last service, I put the Protecta Ultra in the Honda. (The Honda runs a Lifan 110 thumper motor).
Once again, I am very impressed with this oil. The gear changes are a heck of alot smoother, with absolutely no clutch-slip.
Since both of my bikes run much better on GW Protecta Ultra, I ordered a 20lt drum on Thu afternoon & it arrived on Fri @ 8am.
The price, with delivery was great value.

THANKS HEAPS to Ross for setting up NSW Riders Account & to the Gulf Western team.

Last edited by aussiedude on Sat May 07 2011, 11:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)
Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat May 07 2011, 11:30

No worries Kurt
Back to top Go down
MoNo_MaN

Number of posts : 3538
Registration date : 2009-03-02
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat May 07 2011, 18:00

Hey Ross

As you probably saw, Troy and I have bought a 2004 CBR 600 RR for the track. We're both keen to get our oil through you.

We will be doing an oil and filter change after every track day most likely and obviously 90% of the time the engine will be pushing hard as its track ridding so what do you reccomend?

As a side question, which would be best for the engine (if it matters at all) considering we will be doing track days and then having a break of potentially a couple of months before using the bike again:
1) Do the oil change very soon after the day and then leave the bike sitting with the new oil in it?
2) Leave the "old" oil in there and do the change shortly before the next day?
3) Drain the oil after the track day, seal it back up and leave it dry until just before the next day and change the filter and refill with new oil then.

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat May 07 2011, 19:03

Chris,

as soon as you start the engine after a service, you put bi products of combustion, unburnt fuel and acids into the sump.

If you leave the bike sitting around, with even partly used oil in it, you run the risk that you will start to etch bearing and journal surfaces.

You are best off to change the oil after a track day, drain it hot, then refill with fresh oil and leave it sitting with fresh oil.

If you left it without oil, for an extended time, you could get some corrosion starting. We use a polarised molecule additive to maintain an oil film for extended periods but it does not work for more than a couple of months.

If the bike has been sitting for more than say two months then its an idea to pull the plug leads off and turn it over for 30 seconds before starting it in order to ensure that the oil has circulated fully.

Back to top Go down
MoNo_MaN

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat May 07 2011, 20:22

Cool, thanks for the advice.

Is Protecta Ultra the best oil for high revving use/frequent changes?

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sun May 08 2011, 08:02

Yes, Protecta Ultra would be my preference.
Back to top Go down
b1b2

Number of posts : 3510
Registration date : 2008-08-05
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sun May 08 2011, 19:12

MoNo_MaN wrote:
Hey Ross

As you probably saw, Troy and I have bought a 2004 CBR 600 RR for the track. We're both keen to get our oil through you.

We will be doing an oil and filter change after every track day most likely and obviously 90% of the time the engine will be pushing hard as its track ridding so what do you reccomend?

is this a common practice for trackbike? new oil each trackday?
I know you'll be pushing the engine to the limit n all, but do they deteriorate that fast?
may as well get GW sponsorship then Wink

FR #483, NSWR #4, Wakefield $50 Lic #243*0 What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.it
MoNo_MaN

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sun May 08 2011, 19:21

b1b2 wrote:

may as well get GW sponsorship then Wink

Good idea! What do you think Ross Wink

You've already got a V8 super car so why not get a track bike too Laughing

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Mon May 09 2011, 10:03

Chris I would really like to sponsor you and Troy, honestly, but the Supercar has already sucked up 150% of my promotion budget ...... bummer Embarassed
Back to top Go down
MoNo_MaN

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Mon May 09 2011, 10:09

No worries Ross, something tells me that your V8 Supercar will get you slightly more exposure so is probably a better investment Razz

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   

Back to top Go down

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next