NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders

Created by riders for riders, to discuss and organise rides, social gatherings & events

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  B O M Weather MapB O M Weather Map  NSW Meeting Places NSW Meeting Places  
Similar topics
Latest topics
» New to Sydney, no bike yet
Mon Aug 07 2017, 10:31 by kurviger

» New young rider in Sydney
Mon Aug 07 2017, 00:56 by Tomosapien

» Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil
Wed Jul 26 2017, 19:37 by BOB88R

» New to Bikes
Thu Jun 22 2017, 16:17 by chuckchunder

» New member from The Illawarra
Sat Jun 17 2017, 11:09 by Pete

» Return to the fold
Fri Mar 31 2017, 07:42 by Ed

Wed Dec 07 2016, 02:26 by Danielle143

» in the riverina
Sun Oct 30 2016, 23:27 by Jasen Doidge

» Hello Everybody
Fri Feb 12 2016, 07:24 by jd

» Hello everyone !!
Sun Jan 31 2016, 09:39 by Ed

Share | 

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Ed
Admin

Number of posts : 6587
Registration date : 2008-08-04
Male

PostSubject: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat May 29 2010, 19:08

First topic message reminder :

RossT, a member of NSWR, is associated with Gulf Western Oil at St Marys. Gulf Western Oil have created a group account for NSW Riders members only. Members may purchase a range of quality motorcycle oils at prices less that we can otherwise get from general retailers. More importantly, the oils are deemed better than what is generally available.

N.B. Gulf Western Oil has moved from Penrith to St Marys. New address is shown below.

Ross previously gave a presentation to a group of NSWR members. The pictures taken appear below.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/Fasteddie57/Saturday29thMay2010GulfWesternOilVisit#

If you would like to purchase oils, please contact Ross/Gulf Western at the following. Mention that you are from NSW Riders. Delivery can be arranged where sufficient quantities are purchased. Delivery costs apply.

http://www.gulfwestern.com.au

New Address:

92 Links Road, St Marys.
Phone 02 9673 9600

sales@gulfwestern.com.au

NSW Rider Member # 3
FarRider Member # 481
FR10 # 16 Euston NSW
FR10 # 17 Eungella QLD
FR10 # 18 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 # 19 Lightning Ridge NSW
FR10 # 20 Renmark SA
FR10 # 22 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 # 23 Bathurst NSW (via Wagga)
FR12 # 26 Mallacoota Vic
FR12 Gold # 28 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 #30 Cooroy QLD
FR10 # 37 Texas QLD

Last edited by Ed on Tue Feb 04 2014, 21:36; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
JJW

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2009-11-15
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Fri Jul 30 2010, 15:25

b1b2 wrote:
good info Ross - thanks.
Ill be switching to GWH too on the next service.
I wonder why we dont see more GWH on bike dealer shops, its like everyone only sells Motul/ Motorex/ Silkolene/ Shell/ Mobil. Maybe ppl only aware that GWH only sells cars lubricants?

Do you want to guess what the mark-up is on a $60 bottle of Motul vs a $30 bottle of GW?

I'm thinking i would be pushing the $60 bottles if I had a bike shop!

JJW
Back to top Go down
b1b2

Number of posts : 3510
Registration date : 2008-08-05
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Fri Jul 30 2010, 18:13

maybe if they want, could retail it slightly cheaper than Motuls and still retain good margin. Some ppl presume that premium price = premium product.
Its just not many ppl know abt GW, the Parts guy @Bikebiz doesnt know abt their range of bike lubricants, neither does MCA. Im not aware of this product until Ross was here, i dont recall seeing their ads on mags/ forums. but ill leave the marketing stuffs to GW..

FR #483, NSWR #4, Wakefield $50 Lic #243*0 What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.it
RossT

Number of posts : 809
Registration date : 2009-08-29
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Fri Jul 30 2010, 19:30

We have never tried to get into the bike shop market as I would rather have our reps focussed on looking after their mining, transport and earthmoving customers who place orders of 30,000 litres at a time not 30.

The GW brand is not as well known as our nearest Australian owned rival, who is abour eight times smaller than us and not quality certified, but they focus on the retail market and pick up resulting brand awareness from being on all the auto outlet shelves.

We do a fair bit of regional TV and radio advertising, to support our country distributors, but stay away from capital city TV because it is about 60 times dearer and would add too much to our overheads.

Our growth is way ahead of budget and we are the largest volume Australian owned lubricant manufacturer so we must be doing something right.
Back to top Go down
MENACE

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-12-07
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Fri Jul 30 2010, 20:26

Damn, one 30,000Lt oil order is possibly more than the combined oil supply each month to all the motorcycle shops across the state.

It's great to hear Australian business success stories. It's also interesting to note that the industry sectors GW focus their supply to are also the most critical and reliant on high quality lubricants.
Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Fri Jul 30 2010, 20:45

Yes but 350 tonne Haulpacks and D11 Cats are not quite as much fun as CBR1000RRs and R1s
Back to top Go down
Adam

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-09-19
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Fri Jul 30 2010, 23:48

b1b2 well if you look at the motorcycle oils the big difference there is that they are JASO MA or JASO MB certified. That means those oils are suitable for wet or dry clutch use. Car oils don't have to worry about that, that's why they are not spending money to get their oils JASO certified or make them pass the criteria for wet or dry clutch use. Maybe it doesn't matter but maybe it does. JASO MA means there are no friction modifiers in use. Other thing is that we are using one oil for the gearbox, engine and clutch it is important to make sure that no additives will harm any of those components long term.

Argument about viscosity is a tricky one. It comes down to engine tolerances or how accurate it is made. Older bikes will have bigger tolerances newer bikes are made more accurate so to use 10w30 40 or 50 can make a difference. You can damage the parts because of cavitation if the oil is too thick and you can get extensive wear if the oil is too thin. Here I would go with manufacturer recommendations, don't think that Honda, Yamaha or any of the big bike manufacturers will risk damaging their image and name to pass emissions or fuel consumption figures by risking engine failure because of extensive wear and I never heard about cases like that.

Argument about hot Australian climate compare colder European or American climate regarding oil temperatures for me doesn't make sense. The temperature difference is very low compare to the temperature differences within the engine itself so all our bikes will run the same 10w cold temperature viscosity oil so the only difference is when the engine and oil gets hot and here again it comes down to manufacturer tolerances and oil cooling and I'm pretty sure bikes in Australian Europe and America will more or less the same oil temperatures, we do not stress our engines like trucks or heavy machinery. Racing cars and bikes if they can get another horsepower or two by using a low viscosity oil while risking engine failure will take that risk. Winning the race will earn you more money then new engine will cost for them.

My landlord is using Gulf Western oil in all his cars and mine car is due for an oil change and you can be 100% sure it will be the Gulf Western oil which will go in, but there are a few special things regarding motorcycle oils. Maybe all the car oils would pass the JASO standards, and maybe that JASO sticker is all bullshit, I don't know but I rather be 1000000000 % sure.

This is my opinion and please if its wrong explain why , Ross I think we need another tour to clarify all this .
Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat Jul 31 2010, 10:17

Adam I'm happy to organize another tour when it suits.

I can assure you that operating temperatures are affected by lower ambients as the cooling rate is far more effective in lower temperatures.

European, North American and Japanese temperatures are often 20 degreesC lower than ours.

I'm not saying that if the recommendation is a 5W then go to a 20W but a one or two grade increase will give better protection without any risk of cavitation. You will soon know if you are using too high a viscosity in a bike because you will have trouble getting second and third gear for the first 15 or so minutes after start up.

If you are using the correct API ( American Petroleum Institute ) spec product with no friction modifiers, and appropriate viscosity, then you can forget Jaso licensing.

The API is a far more highly recognized authority and Jaso is just another license cost for the lube formulators to cover a relatively small volume market.

High quality engine oils have a significant content of ZDDP ( zinc anti wear ) which is what is required to protect high tooth loading pressures in bike gearboxes.

You will note that front wheel drive cars run engine oil for combined engine / transmission lubrication as well.
Back to top Go down
coda

Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2008-09-28
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat Jul 31 2010, 10:47

My 03 VFR's running on Gulf and will continue and when my Hilux and Impreza are due for a change I will be back to Gulf for some more Texas tea for those 2
Back to top Go down
MENACE

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat Oct 16 2010, 02:19

I just ordered 2 x 20L drums of Gulf Western Protecta Ultra 15w-50 using the NSWR account Ross was kind enough to set up for us. Bloody good price and free delivery (for decent size orders anyway)

Now the bike and the 4WD are getting the best protection possible at a great rate. cheers

Back to top Go down
MoNo_MaN

Number of posts : 3538
Registration date : 2009-03-02
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat Oct 16 2010, 18:49

Adam wrote:
Here I would go with manufacturer recommendations, don't think that Honda, Yamaha or any of the big bike manufacturers will risk damaging their image and name to pass emissions or fuel consumption figures by risking engine failure because of extensive wear and I never heard about cases like that.

Like you I don't have any evidence either way to back it up, but when you think about it seems more likely that they would infact take that risk. Look at this way, which of these bikes would be easier to market and therefore which will sell more?

Bike A has an engine that will last 200,000km, fuel consumption is 8L/100km
Bike B has an engine that will last 175,000km, fuel consumption is 7L/100km

Now when you look at it that way, you could argue either way which was a better choice (and if you do the maths bike A probably comes out on top). However engine life is never advertised, people don't care. So it comes down to Honda (or whoever) being able to say that their bike has a better fuel economy without seeing any negative affects until years after you have bought the bike.

If I was Honda I would certainly consider cutting corners like this to improve the specs of my bikes and therefore increase sales.

Number of posts : 1405
Registration date : 2009-11-22
Female

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat Oct 16 2010, 21:01

well I certainly hope they wont cut corners quality wise!

Leave cutting corners and manufacturing something to a price to the other rubbish made outside of Japan and Europe!

When it comes to buying a quality bike I would certainly rather pay a couple thousand or more to know that I was getting something that would last. As oppose to saving a couple of thousand and then having to spend this money a little down the track and perhaps spending this money more than once even!

Back to top Go down
http://www.kawariders.com.au
Adam

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-09-19
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sun Oct 17 2010, 00:52

Well as I said the manufacturers are able to build engines with greater and greater precision and the tolerances within the engine itself are getting smaller. Thats why they using lighter oils to prevent cavitation within the bearings etc. I don't think Honda, Yamaha, BMW or any other manufacturer would risk damaging their name like this. Regarding fuel consumption it is more the way ECU is programmed from the factory because of the emissions and noise etc. for example USA version of Yamaha R1 is down I think 10 hp compare to the European model just to comply with the emissions and noise. My bike takes less fuel after I remapped my power commander for a custom map and I do cca 50 to 70 km more on one tank with the same engine oil used before and after fine tuning the power commander.
Back to top Go down
MENACE

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sun Oct 17 2010, 01:24

Adam, I think you're over analyzing this whole oil subject. If you're happy to pay $15per litre for engine oil that is, at best, no different to the Gulf Western oil Ross is selling to us at a heavily discounted price, then so be it.

I've paid through the nose for 'motorcycle specific' Motul oil in the past and I can put my hand on my heart and say since I've been running the Protecta Ultra 15w-50, every single clutch change is ultra smooth, there's no more false neutrals and it still revs it's tits off without issue.

Ross has an extensive oil engineering background so I suggest you give him a ring to answer any of your concerns. I'm sure he'd give you several reasons to run a different oil in your bike especially since you do so many track days - where engine protection is paramount.

Either way, I hope to catch up with you on a ride soon, haven't seen you for ages.

Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sun Oct 17 2010, 14:19

The bottom line is that unless a manufacturer is able to meet the mandated emission reductions.......they are not able to sell anything....full stop.

Deciding on a slight change or improvement in oil spec is just like deciding on any other aftermarket upgrade...led lights, carbon fibre, tail tidys, improved shocks etc, etc.

If you never ever ride your bike hard, flat change, wheelspin, mono, get stuck in heavy traffic on a hot Australian day etc. then you don't need to upgrade.

I know what level of protection I prefer to have.

Also you would have to go to at least three viscosity grades higher before you would risk oil cavitation
Back to top Go down
MENACE

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sun Oct 24 2010, 15:02

Took delivery of 40L of Protecta Ultra last week. Apart from the great price and free delivery, this oil is perfect for my bike and the Landcruiser. Nothing like killing two birds with the one stone:cheers:
(no birds were harmed in the making of this post - allegedly)

Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Mon Oct 25 2010, 09:20

The cheque is in the mail Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Faith13

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-10-07
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat Nov 27 2010, 19:22

So got some Protecta Ultra 15W-50 for my Hyosung, its the right stuff to put in my bike right?? first time buying anything other then oil that is from a motorbike shop
Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Sat Nov 27 2010, 20:25

Yes it's the right stuff...just be careful when you hit the throttle ....the bike might now be tempted to stand on it's rear wheel and head straight for the nearest Australian flag Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gixer04

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2011-01-16
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Wed Mar 02 2011, 16:11

hi ross
do we just go to gulf western and tell them we are a members of nswriders
or do we need some sort of card or something.
also will this oil be ok in a 2004 gsxr and a 2008 hyosung 650
cheers bruce
Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Wed Mar 02 2011, 17:07

Bruce,

Protecta Ultra is ideal for both.

You can drop in to the office at 1 Coombes drive, Penrith and tell them you are from NSW Riders and they will supply you on the NSW Riders COD account which I have set up at distributor price.

Cash or credit card.

If you need 20 litres or more you can phone 1800 248 919 and place your order for delivery anywhere in the Sydney area for an extra $10 freight.
Back to top Go down
cookie boy

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2008-10-13
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Wed Mar 02 2011, 17:32

Ross, am I better off with the protector or synex for my CBR600RR ???
Cheers Andrew
Back to top Go down
gixer04

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2011-01-16
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Wed Mar 02 2011, 18:23

hi ross
thanks for that info, i live in penrith so picking up 20 litres is no big deal.
thank-you for setting this up for nswriders, appreciate it
cheers bruce
Back to top Go down
RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Wed Mar 02 2011, 22:38

Andrew,

I would still recommend Protecta Ultra.

It's got excellent film strength at high revs and I have seen excellent results with this product.
Back to top Go down
cookie boy

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2008-10-13
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Thu Mar 03 2011, 09:53

Great thanks Ross, all I need to do now is find some time to get out there !!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Thu Apr 14 2011, 16:46

Just bought some Protecta Ultra for my Beemer, for a excellent price (less than 1/2 price of Motul) Very Happy , once I change it, I will write up what I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   

Back to top Go down

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next