NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders

Created by riders for riders, to discuss and organise rides, social gatherings & events

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  B O M Weather MapB O M Weather Map  NSW Meeting Places NSW Meeting Places  

Share | 

bit of a "re-intro"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Torquative

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-01-08
Male

PostSubject: bit of a "re-intro"   Fri Apr 23 2010, 16:53

Howdy all,

over the past month and a bit Ive been very quiet here.

Basically got my L's back in March with the plan of having a bike shortly, but with the cars transmission saying no more, and getting no bonus's from work since November, it got put on hold for a bit.

But I bit the bullet when a deal come up and got a loan sorted.

So as of last Saturday I now have a bike!! A little 2002 Honda NSR 150SP 2 stroke.

I bought it from a mate whose had it since new. Its done just under 11 000 (will clock over 11 000 today) but the engines done far less then that, its a new donk replaced just 4 000 kays ago when my mate blew it up - he's not very mechanically minded and thought the oil warning light on the dash was like his car, saying its low - when in actual fact a quick squizz of the owners handbook tells you when it lights it means the oils run out, switch off the engine til you can fill the reservoir! So when it come on one day on the Putty Road he kept riding it although taking it easy, thinking it was low, til it finally gave up the ghost after being run with no oil!

But I posted up on Facebook one night "bought my gear, need a bike" and he replied with "buy mine, its been sitting here since September last year doing nothing". Thought a 150 is a bit small, and 2 stroke = yuk, but Im glad I test rode it. I had test rode alot of bikes before it, this was definately one I enjoyed riding though, even better that I know its history from day one, low kays and actually relatively cheap (in my budget at least)

Ive only done a little bit of round town riding, although its been night. Today I rode to work for something different and loved every minute of it. The trip from Wentworthville through to Church Street Parramatta took 1 minute, opposed to the 45 mins in the car!!!

I'm looking forward to doing some learner rides with everyone now I have everything, so I can learn good, not bad, habits!

Pics to follow on the weekend, dont have any yet!!
Back to top Go down
VFR

Number of posts : 3762
Registration date : 2008-08-17
Male

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Fri Apr 23 2010, 16:56

welcome back, congrats on the bike cheers
got any pics of it?
Back to top Go down
Kris

Number of posts : 2542
Registration date : 2008-08-19
Male

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Fri Apr 23 2010, 18:12

Yeah Welcome back mate.... cheers

Riding should be fun.
Riding within your limits makes it enjoyable.
Riding over the limits is challenging and risk yourself.

NSW Rider Member # 1
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Fri Apr 23 2010, 20:29

nah no pics ... yet. The only ones I have are low quality (poor light and camera phone) plus the wheels are dirty as with brake dust - after I clean her up this weekend I'll put some decent pics up.

I feel bad though, Cameron's the one whose been pestering me since late last year to get a bike, I finally do and everyone else I know has seen it but him!! I guess he'll learn about it when he reads this post ... btw hi Camo!!!!

On that score I feel alot better tonight too, although I don't care what others think because it doesn't matter as long as I like it, I was actually expecting negative comments from people at work, more so those into bikes and mainly about the fact its a 2 stroke 150, but I got nothing but good words, everything from "it looks good I like the ..." to the "its been well maintained, never dropped" and "mind if I sit on it? Wow its light, oh I like the ...."

Anyway now I have it I'm dedicating time to riding it, and moreso learning to ride properly before even thinking about the P's test so you'll see me around alot more.
Back to top Go down
CybaGirl™

Number of posts : 1405
Registration date : 2009-11-22
Female

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Fri Apr 23 2010, 20:55

to the forum Very Happy.

Two strokes were the best bikes every made in my opinion!

I have owned two of them. My first one being my learner bike which was a Yamaha RZ250R and then I brought it's big brother the RZ500. Unfortunately and regrettably I do not own either one of them anymore. I have some pictures of my RZ250R on my hard drive though. But the trouble is I am not wearing much in the way of clothing when they were taken and they were taken ten years ago. Not to sure where the ones are of my RZ500 though. I think they are out in the garage somewhere and yes I had more clothes on when those ones were taken .

Oh yes and late last year I saw an RZ500 for sale at Action Motorcycles in Parramatta. They wanted $14,000.00 for it!

I actually thought mine was in better condition cosmetically and mine also had the rear cowl cover. But please don't ask what I sold mine for ....
Back to top Go down
http://www.kawariders.com.au
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Fri Apr 23 2010, 22:24

lol well I'm not going to go anywhere with the clothing comments, despite it being a Friday night and I do have some alcohol in the system at the moment ;P I'll just assume the photo's looked good!!!

Its definitely fun, there's no doubt about that, especially when the torque kicks in down the band! I did my research before the buy so I know it can be a bit maintenance intensive.

I have to give it a bit of basic maintenance tomorrow, ie change gearbox fluid (after the car I have a fear of killing gearboxes now!!) I'll drain the current tank of oil and put some fresh stuff in, new spark plug, new coolant, new brake fluid, clean and lube chain. I'm lucky that I obtained the workshop manual so its all there and fairly basic stuff.

Probably the downside is the "top end rebuild" is due, but I've read on other forums the little NSR hammers once its had it done, so I'll get it done in the next couple of weeks and probably find a little bit more enjoyment!
Back to top Go down
Decepticon

Number of posts : 82
Male

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Sat Apr 24 2010, 08:14

welcome mate. see you on some rides soon.
Back to top Go down
Static

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2010-03-13
Male

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Sat Apr 24 2010, 15:02

Welcome aboard mate.
I have done a few top end rebuilds on 2 strokes (mainly dirtbikes) and found i could do it in a couple of hours with very few tools. It's not as daunting as you may think.
Back to top Go down
steveb

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2010-03-29
Male

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Sat Apr 24 2010, 18:10

hi there!!
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Sun Apr 25 2010, 18:09

thanks for the welcomes guys and girls!

Static, Ive been looking at the parts for the top end rebuild and it doesn't seem to be anything too over the top. The basic servicing I did yesterday was simple as, I couldnt believe just how easily and quickly everything come off and apart.

I thought getting to things like oil and fuel strainers would be a pain but nup, unscrew this bolt and take off the housing or pop this host off and pluck it out!

Hopefully the weather holds out, I'm looking forward to going for a ride tomorrow with a mate.
Back to top Go down
Static

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2010-03-13
Male

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Sun Apr 25 2010, 18:47

Good stuff mate!!

Hope to see you on a ride soon.
Back to top Go down
Cameron

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2008-08-17
Male

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Sun Apr 25 2010, 19:10

hey matt. its about time....but good to see.

now i cant pester u on getting a bike, ill just pester you to come out riding with me
Back to top Go down
Pete

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2009-07-12
Male

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Sun Apr 25 2010, 19:19

Welcome aboard Matt,

Nota bike I am familiar with so looking forward to seeing it 'in the flesh' or at least some pics. Sounds like a goer to me.
Back to top Go down
coda

Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2008-09-28
Male

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   Wed Apr 28 2010, 21:47

Hey Matt welcome to the forum. The NSR are a sweet ride. I have had the pleasure of riding one and once you get the hang of em they are a whole lot of fun. I grew up on 2 strokes RD350's RZ 350's , gotta love a stroker
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bit of a "re-intro"   

Back to top Go down

bit of a "re-intro"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1