NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders

Created by riders for riders, to discuss and organise rides, social gatherings & events

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  B O M Weather MapB O M Weather Map  NSW Meeting Places NSW Meeting Places  

Share | 

Another "this is me" thread!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Torquative

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-01-08
Male

PostSubject: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 15:56

First topic message reminder :

Gday all, my names Matt and as the title suggests "this is me!"

Before I start, I have just realised I work with member "Cameron" ... so there ya go buddy, now I'm stalking you online! Actually thats not true, I was checking out a few forums, trying to get one thats local to NSW, and thought this one seemed like what I'm used too when it comes to a small helpful cruise group, so I signed up. The other is just coincidence, but there you go, despite the size of the internet its still a small world!!

So briefly about me,

I'm heavily involved with a NSW car club which seems to be very similar to what you have going on here, we have a small number of "regular" members and have regular cruises or events (like go karting, paintballing, track days etc) but we have the best time!

I go under various titles "event co-ordinator", "State moderator", "cruise organiser", make of it what you will! My love of cruising came well before I got my car Learners licence, by attending forum cruises as a passenger. Shortly after getting my L's at 16, low and behold, I was at the back of the pack joining in! I've clocked up many many kays over the years on my car just from cruising, but as you guys and girls would know, nothing beats just hitting the open road with a group of like minded people, having a laugh, sharing a story or two. Perhaps what I've learnt with the car cruises may (or may not) help here one day.

So how do I find myself here?

Simple. I've been considering buying a bike for about 2 years now for something different, its just been more a question of "where would I ride it, to and from work on the M4 doesn't sound fun" and "if I join a forum, will they be like minded in that we're there for a good fun time, not to cause trouble and who dont leave the newbs behind". I know in car land you have the good groups, who welcome learners and p platers, who obey laws and want to keep their licences and just 'cruise' ... then you have the problem groups, when people start losing licences and copping defects (and their proud of it) you know your with the wrong crowd.

Last year I had some extra $$ and almost got into it then, but favoured a project car instead - something to work on with dad on a weekend, something to play around with.

Meanwhile, throughout '09, a few of the boys at work (cough Cameron being one) have been dropping subtle hints - 'get a bike', get a bike, We went here on the weekend, you wouldve loved it ... and so o !! I've also watched as a few more have gone through the stages, bought a bike and had nothing but good words, good stories - they've found a new interest! I realised I had gone down the wrong path when it was too late.

The clencher came last week on a week long NYE trip to Melbourne. While walking round the CBD I come across a bike shop. I was just having a bit of a look at what they had on show outside. The salesman comes out and says "hop on bud". I replied "nah its okay, just looking". His response, "you know you want to, just hop on". I said "I'm not interested in buying though, Im from Sydney". He said "thats okay, but that's no reason not to hop on"

Bugger it, he made the offer, so I will ... and I did! Felt good, felt comfy. But that was the worse mistake ever, because then the little bugger reached into his pocket, fished out a key, stuck it in the ignition brbrbrbrbrbrbrrr vroooom".

... thats it, when it fired up I knew this is what I want for 2010!!

So anyway project car - GONE!! Left me on Friday so Im not tempted to put more money into that ;P

I have some things to do to my car, once all thats done and complete in 3 weeks time then my $$$ all goes towards a bike and the bits and pieces!

I hope you don't mind a complete newb when it comes to 2 wheels. I'll be honest, I'll need advice from people with the knowledge! Just pretend I know nothing about bikes and go from there.

I'm looking forward to everything, from my pre learners course, buying my gear, my bike, learning from my mistakes, and ultimately one day coming along for a cruise, the first of what I'm sure will be many!!

Oh, I should also mention Ive ridden a PeeWee 50 (what fun that is in a paddock on a Sunday arvo!!) and a KTM 125? dirt bike a couple of times, so Im not 100% green to bikes, but I might as well be, and quite possibly what I just wrote is embarrasing!!!

Thanks for taking the time out to read

Cheerio

Matt
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 11:28

Melbourne?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 11:31

Melbourne is the place to buy bike gear, much cheaper than Sydney.

You can try on the stuff you want in Sydney then do a net search for some of the Melbourne shops because even with postage it may work out cheaper (unless you have a reason to visit there lol)

For the record my jacket was $280, helmet $230, gloves $80, boots $350 and Draggins $240 (I think). That is not a big spend by any means but I did get some great gear.
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 11:43

I didnt know that, but I did need an excuse to go back to Melbourne for a weekend after my NYE there, so I think I may have just found the reason!!

Okay newb question, whats a Draggin? I have limited internet access at work so I cant search for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 11:47

Draggin jeans have kevlar in them, they are jeans suited to riding. Super comfortable when you are on the bike and it offers better protection than ordinary jeans.
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin

Number of posts : 6587
Registration date : 2008-08-04
Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 12:11

Although I only wear draggins, even a Draggin denim jacket with Kevlar, whilst they do offer protection, we should point out that leather is safer, no question about it.

Comes down to a personal decision, budget, riding style, bike etc. For example, I think I'd look out of place with full leathers on the cruiser, but I know that's illogical given the risk of having an off on any bike. You may wish to post up a topic in bike gear asking for suggestions etc.

In the meantime check:

Good Bike Gear Guide

Getting the best quality helmet you can is a given. Generally, extra $$$ = lightweight, well ventialted and better fitting helmets.

As an aside, Sydney City Motorcycles generally always have a huge sale (10% - 50% off) during May.

NSW Rider Member # 3
FarRider Member # 481
FR10 # 16 Euston NSW
FR10 # 17 Eungella QLD
FR10 # 18 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 # 19 Lightning Ridge NSW
FR10 # 20 Renmark SA
FR10 # 22 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 # 23 Bathurst NSW (via Wagga)
FR12 # 26 Mallacoota Vic
FR12 Gold # 28 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 #30 Cooroy QLD
FR10 # 37 Texas QLD
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 12:20

true ed. while draggins are lighter and can be comfortable, leather is a heap safer. i actually find my leather strides to be a bit more comfy as the leather is thicker and softer under my tailgate.
while you can get cheap gear make sure you get good gear.
never be afraid to ask for a discount, even if its on one item only.
and yeah.. who needs an excuse to go to melbourne to buy some new gear. they dont tend to advertise as low as they can go but ALL the bike shops there will take some $ off. even though people tend to slag on Peter Stevens, they are one of the best for it.
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 12:33

And don't forget our long time member John Musster (johnm). John operates a site called Uprightware

The premise is that you search for and find out exactly what you want, especially sizes and he will get that gear for you at a great price.

NSW Rider Member # 3
FarRider Member # 481
FR10 # 16 Euston NSW
FR10 # 17 Eungella QLD
FR10 # 20 Renmark SA
FR12 # 26 Mallacoota Vic
FR10 #30 Cooroy QLD
FR10 # 37 Texas QLD
Back to top Go down
63special

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2009-06-27
Female

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 16:32

Geez, you are getting heaps of good advice Matt so mine is going to be pretty redundant but I thought I'd share my recent experience buying a helmet for my daughter. John and I gave her money for christmas to be used towards getting a good quality helmet. She has been wearing a $100 Rjays - plastic shell and nowhere near the best protection for her precious skull. She didn't know what other shell would suit her head but, having tried on my Arai, knows she can't wear Arai. So we go to MCA Auburn and I make her try on every single helmet until we narrowed it down to Shoei as being the shell that fit her best. Then we come home and go on line, go to every site we can find and compare the prices. The $800 Shoei at MCA Auburn was cheapest at $599 at Helmet Warehouse. But, coz I love them so much, I rang MCA city where I never fail to get brilliant service and have never paid full price for anything. They said if we could print out the page that proved the helmet was $599 they would match the price. So that's what we did. Seemed to me that the effort was worth the savings and now Nuala has a helmet that will actually work...plus it has a dragon graphic with golden claws...very suitable for my teenager! The best advice is to get the very best protection that you can afford...and you get what you pay for. Shop around, haggle, and keep your eye out for sales. Good luck Matt. Very Happy

P.S. you seem to bring out waffler in me Laughing lol!
Back to top Go down
DJ cornerman X dream

Number of posts : 1325
Registration date : 2009-02-16
Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 18:49

63special wrote:
Geez, you are getting heaps of good advice Matt so mine is going to be pretty redundant but I thought I'd share my recent experience buying a helmet for my daughter. John and I gave her money for christmas to be used towards getting a good quality helmet. She has been wearing a $100 Rjays - plastic shell and nowhere near the best protection for her precious skull. She didn't know what other shell would suit her head but, having tried on my Arai, knows she can't wear Arai. So we go to MCA Auburn and I make her try on every single helmet until we narrowed it down to Shoei as being the shell that fit her best. Then we come home and go on line, go to every site we can find and compare the prices. The $800 Shoei at MCA Auburn was cheapest at $599 at Helmet Warehouse. But, coz I love them so much, I rang MCA city where I never fail to get brilliant service and have never paid full price for anything. They said if we could print out the page that proved the helmet was $599 they would match the price. So that's what we did. Seemed to me that the effort was worth the savings and now Nuala has a helmet that will actually work...plus it has a dragon graphic with golden claws...very suitable for my teenager! The best advice is to get the very best protection that you can afford...and you get what you pay for. Shop around, haggle, and keep your eye out for sales. Good luck Matt. Very Happy

P.S. you seem to bring out waffler in me Laughing lol!

So if you can prove that we're charging $300 too much, we'll sell at a fair price. I would go to helmet warehouse.
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 18:56

Agree Max. When Andre and I were looking at MCA for Helmet comms, MCA were $200 dearer than Ryda. I say support those retailers that offer lower prices consistently and without having to be 'embarrassed' into offering a good price.

NSW Rider Member # 3
FarRider Member # 481
FR10 # 16 Euston NSW
FR10 # 17 Eungella QLD
FR10 # 20 Renmark SA
FR12 # 26 Mallacoota Vic
FR10 #30 Cooroy QLD
FR10 # 37 Texas QLD
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 20:26

is it just me or is MCA not cheap as they tend to try to make out ?.
im with you ed. why shop were you have to always 'tell' them what to charge
Back to top Go down
63special

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2009-06-27
Female

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 21:03

I don't know guys. I paid $300 for an Arai Vector at MCA city that you can't find anywhere for less than $700. I have never paid full price at MCA city and they give me brilliant service. Also it isn't all about price for me. Besides quality product, I tend to be loyal to somewhere that treats me right. The fact they were willing to come to the party over someone else's price tells me that they value my custom more than they value high prices.
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Thu Jan 14 2010, 07:51

at the waffler comment!

When I get closer to buying a helmet I'll start a new topic because like everyone I don't want to buy something that's going to be as useful as wearing an ice cream bucket in an accident, but at the same time while I'm happy to fork out big bucks for the thing I don't want to get ripped off, so I'll be after pointers on what to look out for and how to make sure it fits properly, so I'll try some on, post up what I've found and we can throw some ideas around!

The topic of where to buy seems to be another topic in itself!
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Thu Jan 14 2010, 09:49

63special wrote:
I don't know guys. I paid $300 for an Arai Vector at MCA city that you can't find anywhere for less than $700. I have never paid full price at MCA city and they give me brilliant service. Also it isn't all about price for me. Besides quality product, I tend to be loyal to somewhere that treats me right. The fact they were willing to come to the party over someone else's price tells me that they value my custom more than they value high prices.

Yeah, I hear you Lisa. I may have gone to the other place for the helmet simply because I don't have the same loyalties you have with MCA. Similarly, I only have SCM at Lane Cove service the VN as they know me by name, are familiar with the history of the bike and at the end of the day you have to trust someone with the bike that you love and depend on for being safe.

Sorry Matt for hijacking your introduction, but it was a good subject and may help you as well.

NSW Rider Member # 3
FarRider Member # 481
FR10 # 16 Euston NSW
FR10 # 17 Eungella QLD
FR10 # 20 Renmark SA
FR12 # 26 Mallacoota Vic
FR10 #30 Cooroy QLD
FR10 # 37 Texas QLD
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Thu Jan 14 2010, 10:24

Torquative wrote:
at the waffler comment!

When I get closer to buying a helmet I'll start a new topic because like everyone I don't want to buy something that's going to be as useful as wearing an ice cream bucket in an accident, but at the same time while I'm happy to fork out big bucks for the thing I don't want to get ripped off, so I'll be after pointers on what to look out for and how to make sure it fits properly, so I'll try some on, post up what I've found and we can throw some ideas around!

The topic of where to buy seems to be another topic in itself!

Matt when you go to get your helmet dont go in with a particular brand in mind. When I went to get mine I tried helmets ranging from $200 to $900 and the ONLY one that fit was an RJays one. So for my $230 I got a helmet that fits correctly and even has good venting that I can adjust. Spending big $$$$ doesnt mean a better helmet as they all have to adhere to a minimum standard.
Back to top Go down
MENACE

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-12-07
Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Thu Jan 14 2010, 13:14

On two separate occasions, I bought my helmet, gloves and 2 piece leathers from Bike Biz in Auburn. I was served by Clint who I think is the owner/manager of that store. As a consumer, I was blown away at the patience and honest advice he offered as I tried on a heap of 1 and 2 piece suits...some 2-3 time. He even got me to sit on a similar bike to mine to see how the suits felt whilst in the riding position and got one of the sales guys to get the right size pants from the other store.

When it came time to pay for the leather suit, he took off 15% without me even asking. The total was $1565 and as he did the credit card transaction I mentioned that $1500 was the purchase limit on my credit card and I may have to do two transactions. So he knocked the price down further to $1500 even and said "Merry Christmas".

On another occasion, he gave me a price for a tinted visor so I asked for one. When I went to pay, he realised he'd made a mistake with the price but gave it to me anyway at $30 less than retail.

I'll be back there for sure to get my Rocket III...

Also: would it not be better for all these posts on bike gear be moved to the proper forum section???
Back to top Go down
VFR

Number of posts : 3762
Registration date : 2008-08-17
Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Thu Jan 14 2010, 13:43

Lucy wrote:

Matt when you go to get your helmet dont go in with a particular brand in mind.

thats what i did when i went to get mine too..

i tried on at least 10 different helmets that i liked the look of, and the only one that fit nicely was the shoei so thats the one i got.
Back to top Go down
MENACE

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Thu Jan 14 2010, 15:06

A new helmet should be a firm fit all over but not uncomfortably tight. Snug enough in the cheek area that when you open your mouth with the helmet on, the padding squeezes your cheeks together. After a week or two of riding, the padding will soften up, leaving you with a helmet that is super comfortable.

Remember, even the cheapest helmet meets the Australian Standards, but the more expensive helmets have added safety and comfort features.

When choosing a helmet, I pick the best one you can afford, since you don't get a second chance when it's put into action - and it will see action sooner or later.
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Thu Jan 14 2010, 19:09

perhaps this should be moved to a more appropriate section coz now its got me wanting to talk helmets and riding gear and I'm sure this info would benefit alot of newbs Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
MENACE

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Thu Jan 14 2010, 19:13

Just start a new topic in the "motorcycle gear" section
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Thu Feb 18 2010, 14:40

well guys a bit of an update, the bike plan is quickly going backwards!

I'm still going for my pre rider course next week and will go for my licence shortly after, but alas I don't know when I will get to getting a bike, or at least its not happening as quick as I thought it would. I had it planned that by this weekend I'd have my gear sorted ... umm yeh, havent even had a chance to look!!

The damn car, that has consumed my weekly pay since November, is now sitting in a workshop in about 150 pieces. What was supposed to be a $200 kit that makes everything better worked a little bit too good and has now become a $2000 repair (aka my bike money) ... and 2 weeks without a car.

On the positive side I may be forced to buy a bike in the very near future to battle peak hour traffic, but I wont say any more about it until I'm more certain!!

Anyway I haven't been posting much, been extremely busy lately but Ive been keeping updated ... and yes, Cameron's annoying me more then ever about getting a bike!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Thu Feb 18 2010, 15:11

please explain this $200 'Kit' thats supposed to make a car go better and costs $2000 in repairs.
WTF..holy sh_t jesus christ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   

Back to top Go down

Another "this is me" thread!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2