NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders

Created by riders for riders, to discuss and organise rides, social gatherings & events

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  B O M Weather MapB O M Weather Map  NSW Meeting Places NSW Meeting Places  
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil
Wed Jul 26 2017, 19:37 by BOB88R

» New to Bikes
Thu Jun 22 2017, 16:17 by chuckchunder

» New member from The Illawarra
Sat Jun 17 2017, 11:09 by Pete

» Return to the fold
Fri Mar 31 2017, 07:42 by Ed

Wed Dec 07 2016, 02:26 by Danielle143

» in the riverina
Sun Oct 30 2016, 23:27 by Jasen Doidge

» Hello Everybody
Fri Feb 12 2016, 07:24 by jd

» Hello everyone !!
Sun Jan 31 2016, 09:39 by Ed

» Gday, new member
Thu Oct 01 2015, 06:45 by Ed

» greetings fellow riders
Thu Apr 16 2015, 10:01 by Guest

Share | 

Another "this is me" thread!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Torquative

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-01-08
Male

PostSubject: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 15:56

Gday all, my names Matt and as the title suggests "this is me!"

Before I start, I have just realised I work with member "Cameron" ... so there ya go buddy, now I'm stalking you online! Actually thats not true, I was checking out a few forums, trying to get one thats local to NSW, and thought this one seemed like what I'm used too when it comes to a small helpful cruise group, so I signed up. The other is just coincidence, but there you go, despite the size of the internet its still a small world!!

So briefly about me,

I'm heavily involved with a NSW car club which seems to be very similar to what you have going on here, we have a small number of "regular" members and have regular cruises or events (like go karting, paintballing, track days etc) but we have the best time!

I go under various titles "event co-ordinator", "State moderator", "cruise organiser", make of it what you will! My love of cruising came well before I got my car Learners licence, by attending forum cruises as a passenger. Shortly after getting my L's at 16, low and behold, I was at the back of the pack joining in! I've clocked up many many kays over the years on my car just from cruising, but as you guys and girls would know, nothing beats just hitting the open road with a group of like minded people, having a laugh, sharing a story or two. Perhaps what I've learnt with the car cruises may (or may not) help here one day.

So how do I find myself here?

Simple. I've been considering buying a bike for about 2 years now for something different, its just been more a question of "where would I ride it, to and from work on the M4 doesn't sound fun" and "if I join a forum, will they be like minded in that we're there for a good fun time, not to cause trouble and who dont leave the newbs behind". I know in car land you have the good groups, who welcome learners and p platers, who obey laws and want to keep their licences and just 'cruise' ... then you have the problem groups, when people start losing licences and copping defects (and their proud of it) you know your with the wrong crowd.

Last year I had some extra $$ and almost got into it then, but favoured a project car instead - something to work on with dad on a weekend, something to play around with.

Meanwhile, throughout '09, a few of the boys at work (cough Cameron being one) have been dropping subtle hints - 'get a bike', get a bike, We went here on the weekend, you wouldve loved it ... and so o !! I've also watched as a few more have gone through the stages, bought a bike and had nothing but good words, good stories - they've found a new interest! I realised I had gone down the wrong path when it was too late.

The clencher came last week on a week long NYE trip to Melbourne. While walking round the CBD I come across a bike shop. I was just having a bit of a look at what they had on show outside. The salesman comes out and says "hop on bud". I replied "nah its okay, just looking". His response, "you know you want to, just hop on". I said "I'm not interested in buying though, Im from Sydney". He said "thats okay, but that's no reason not to hop on"

Bugger it, he made the offer, so I will ... and I did! Felt good, felt comfy. But that was the worse mistake ever, because then the little bugger reached into his pocket, fished out a key, stuck it in the ignition brbrbrbrbrbrbrrr vroooom".

... thats it, when it fired up I knew this is what I want for 2010!!

So anyway project car - GONE!! Left me on Friday so Im not tempted to put more money into that ;P

I have some things to do to my car, once all thats done and complete in 3 weeks time then my $$$ all goes towards a bike and the bits and pieces!

I hope you don't mind a complete newb when it comes to 2 wheels. I'll be honest, I'll need advice from people with the knowledge! Just pretend I know nothing about bikes and go from there.

I'm looking forward to everything, from my pre learners course, buying my gear, my bike, learning from my mistakes, and ultimately one day coming along for a cruise, the first of what I'm sure will be many!!

Oh, I should also mention Ive ridden a PeeWee 50 (what fun that is in a paddock on a Sunday arvo!!) and a KTM 125? dirt bike a couple of times, so Im not 100% green to bikes, but I might as well be, and quite possibly what I just wrote is embarrasing!!!

Thanks for taking the time out to read

Cheerio

Matt
Back to top Go down
BlueSV650

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2009-03-24
Female

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 17:32

Welcome Matt. This is definately the place to be. Been riding with a lot of these guys & gals since the forum began (also some of them before then) & they don't leave you behind. You can also find someone that will be happy to give advice. You will probably be like me & once you get your licence you'll wonder what took you so long & wished you had done it earlier. Looking forward to seeing you out there.

Linda

PS I'm Cameron's Mum
Back to top Go down
Kris

Number of posts : 2542
Registration date : 2008-08-19
Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 18:17

Hi Matt,

Welcome the website what a nice story you have... Looking forward to ride with you one day.

Yes I know Cameron he is my friend too...

Riding should be fun.
Riding within your limits makes it enjoyable.
Riding over the limits is challenging and risk yourself.

NSW Rider Member # 1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 18:19

hi matt welcome to the site,
Back to top Go down
Telby

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-01-05
Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 18:43

Hi Matt,
I've only recently joined the site and went for my first ride with these guys & Girls on Saturday.

Had a great time, everyone was friendly and very welcoming.
Hope you enjoy your time here.

Stuart
Back to top Go down
http://stuarttelferphotography.com
Ed
Admin

Number of posts : 6584
Registration date : 2008-08-04
Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 18:56

Great story Matt. Just, remember, if you don't ask questions, you won't get answers.
I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

NSW Rider Member # 3
FarRider Member # 481
FR10 # 16 Euston NSW
FR10 # 17 Eungella QLD
FR10 # 18 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 # 19 Lightning Ridge NSW
FR10 # 20 Renmark SA
FR10 # 22 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 # 23 Bathurst NSW (via Wagga)
FR12 # 26 Mallacoota Vic
FR12 Gold # 28 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 #30 Cooroy QLD
FR10 # 37 Texas QLD
Back to top Go down
Cameron

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2008-08-17
Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 19:35

Morning matt!!

That was quite an interesting novel you wrote
Anyway, good to see you joined up...but as i keep saying, your just missing one thing. a bike.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 19:37

Hi Matt, welcome to NSWR. I just got my licence too so you are not the only newbie lol

There are a lot of good people on this site so you wont have any trouble having a group of new mates to cruise with Wink

Just out of interest... what car club and what was the project car?

See you out there soon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 20:29

welcome aboard!! [now buy a bike.......]
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 20:54

G'day all,

all I can say is wow, what a warm welcome to a forum/group!! Thanks to everyone!!!! cheers

I can see that I wrote quite an essay lol Sleep but that said its either tell my story or just say "Hi, Im Matt. Have no bike, have no idea ... seeya round" and seriously, what kind of intro is that? At least everyone knows where I'm at.

Hi Linda, you'll be pleased to know Cameron has some good persuasion skills thus how I find myself now wanting a bike, and Im sure I haven't heard the end of it from him either lol!

Mornin Cameron, please stop picking on me for not having a bike - its official, its happening!!!! I know I told you this during the week, but here's the proof!! On that score, I don't have a licence either but I'll be booking that in shortly when there's $$ in the account!!

Kris, Trevor, Ed, Potato masher - thanks for the kind words!!

Stuart, that's good to hear. I look forward to my first run.

Lucy, the car club is Just Commodores Car Club of NSW (I usually call it Cruisng Club of NSW coz Commodore+Car+Club= automatic hoon group which we're not). The project car was a 1976 Holden V8 Ute. In hindsight I actually had everything there to finish the job, but no time ... and now this got the better of me I'd rather put my focus (and money) to a bike.

Thanks once again everyone, I've started reading some of the info here and its gold, like basic maintenance (for instance cleaning/lubing a chain) ... simple stuff really but its something someone like me isn't quite thinking about. Everyone's knowledge is incredible.

I'll also pop out to a cruise in the very near future so I can meet and greet everyone, and to once again excite the senses and that "want" for a bike even more.

Cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 21:08

Torquative wrote:

Just Commodores Car Club of NSW (I usually call it Cruisng Club of NSW coz Commodore+Car+Club= automatic hoon group which we're not). The project car was a 1976 Holden V8 Ute.

Cheers

Another Holden lover lol My past project car was an LX Torana Wink

Oh when you are ready to go for your L's course I can totally recommend HART at St Ives, they are brilliant!

There is usually some social stuff as well as rides so if you dont have a bike at that time you are still more than welcome to come along to those meets.
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 21:28

Sounds like another opportunity to have a social dinner in lieu of a ride. This time we'll make sure we have enough tables. What do you think Lucy? Have to wait till Kris returns from O/S though.

NSW Rider Member # 3
FarRider Member # 481
FR10 # 16 Euston NSW
FR10 # 17 Eungella QLD
FR10 # 20 Renmark SA
FR12 # 26 Mallacoota Vic
FR10 #30 Cooroy QLD
FR10 # 37 Texas QLD
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 21:32

How'd you go with your project, trade it in for a bike ???? lol

I'll be along to social events for sure, to be honest the bike itself wont be for a few more months yet, and Im tossing up whether to go cheap now on the basis I'll drop it and belt it up and trash it and use it as a learning tool, then once I'm on my full licence hope I'm in the financial situation to buy a bigger and more decent bike ... or do I get something learner legal but decent, try my hardest not to hurt the thing (which I'm going to do either way I go anyway) and at least I know in the future I have a nice looking, well maintained bike, so should I not be in the best financial situation in a few years time at least I still have this nice bike to ride.

Also is HART classified as the "St Ives" facility on the RTA website? I've been trying to gauge when certain areas do their testing
Back to top Go down
Cameron

Number of posts : 778
Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 21:35

Get a GS500. Cant go wrong. Mine was an awsome bike...i miss it a little
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 21:43

I like the look of the GS500

I never saw yours Crying or Very sad (well I did just didnt pay attention to it Suspect )

Problem is a 250 will be too small for me, but the 500's are more expensive.
Back to top Go down
VFR

Number of posts : 3762
Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Sun Jan 10 2010, 22:54

welcome to the forum Matt
Back to top Go down
MENACE

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-12-07
Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Mon Jan 11 2010, 10:43

Welcome to NSWR, Matt.

I'm all too familiar with pumping money into fast cars, and finally making the switch to bikes is so much more rewarding. In time, I've noted that riders as a whole have a much more approachable attitude compared to that of the car scene which is so image conscious these days.

You should consider getting yourself booking into a learner riders course to get the ball rolling. It'll only cost a few $$ then you'll be good to go. As you know the L and P plate saga is a long one, so the sooner you start, the better.

The members here have a wealth of knowledge on motorbikes. So ask away, get yourself sorted with gear and a bike and come join us on a ride ASAP - you'll have a blast.
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Mon Jan 11 2010, 16:42

thanks guys!

Nathan, I have to say Ive noticed that bike riders in general (but especially you guys and girls) are, as you put it, more approachable, everyone seems to be mates, no ones out to "out do" someone else, which is a culture Ive seen go through car groups recently.

The learner rider course is happening in the next few weeks, assuming all goes well I could be confirming the booking as soon as next week, I need a weekend date tho as I cant have time off work during the week.

Clyde seem to be the only place offering weekend courses in the immediate future (mid feb) but I'm looking into it still, i wouldnt mind HART just to sus it out.
Back to top Go down
63special

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2009-06-27
Female

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Mon Jan 11 2010, 17:04

Welcome to the forum Matt. I have been riding with this group since I got my L's last year. I was incredibly slow and scared when I first started riding and NSWR never made me feel inadequate, pushed me to go faster, or left me behind. By and large the rides are very well run and everyone rides at their own pace.

I think getting your L's asap is a great idea because the whole process is so laborious and the sooner you start it the sooner you finish it. I don't know about other new riders but now that I am seven months from getting my open licence I find that I am more and more concerned [and slightly stressed] about getting caught for any infringement [though you wouldn't guess it with the gay abandon in which I break the speed limit!] as it would mean starting the whole procedure all over again [or somewhere near it] and the thought turns my stomach.

You're right though, the fun factor is very high when riding a bike. I find I have two modes of riding. One I call the dance with death...riding in city traffic. It is kind of fun because it's like a ballet, moving in rhythm with, and in response to, the cars around me to ensure no collisions. It focusses the mind like nothing else can and is sort of meditative in that way. The other kind of riding for me is on the open road...where the only thing that's going to kill me is me running out of talent...or maybe a roo...or something. This also focusses my mind and increases my skill level...also tends to raise the heart rate!

Good grief, I could rant on all day about the innumerable joys of riding
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Tue Jan 12 2010, 23:26

Quote :
Good grief, I could rant on all day about the innumerable joys of riding
heh Ive heard that a few times!!

Thanks for the post, it makes it harder to wait now, but I know at the end of it it'll all be worth it!!!!

I've been talked into going for the L's, so give it a week or so for the bank account to balance out (its only $76 but its a bad time of the year) and I'll be booking in.

I'm hoping by the time the pre learner course comes around I'll have most of my riding gear, and it'll pretty much just roll on from there. I don't want to get my L's and have nothing to ride for 6 months!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Tue Jan 12 2010, 23:40

Good point Wink

You can get some great deals on gear at Bike Gear Warehouse at Narellan and I got my helmet at a good price at MCAS. There is no hurry, do it when you are able.

First up I got my helmet, jacket and gloves. A month later I got proper boots and it was only recently that Mike got me a pair of Draggin's. Space it out so it doesnt break the budget and by the time you do your Ls you will be all set.
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 00:12

I've been checking our BGW online, they have the only jacket and boots I seem to like. I'm going to go out there in a couple of weeks time to actually check them out though. I started to checkout MCAS too, helmets hmmm what a choice that boggles the mind!

Im thinking the same though, helmet, jacket, gloves, boots -> in that order! Ultimately spacing it out across a few weeks seems to be the way to go, I can get bits and pieces each week, so the jacket one week, the boots the next.
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 00:22

Buying from the same retailer? You could argue for a big discount if you bought your entire 'wardrobe' at the same time. Just a thought.

NSW Rider Member # 3
FarRider Member # 481
FR10 # 16 Euston NSW
FR10 # 17 Eungella QLD
FR10 # 20 Renmark SA
FR12 # 26 Mallacoota Vic
FR10 #30 Cooroy QLD
FR10 # 37 Texas QLD
Back to top Go down
Torquative

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 08:31

thats true! I suppose they stock everything but the helmet and it works out to be close to $800 for everything (just a rough figure), hmm I'm going to give it a go, whats the worst they can do ... say no !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   Wed Jan 13 2010, 08:39

find what you want then order it from melbourne
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another "this is me" thread!!   

Back to top Go down

Another "this is me" thread!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next