NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders

Created by riders for riders, to discuss and organise rides, social gatherings & events

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  B O M Weather MapB O M Weather Map  NSW Meeting Places NSW Meeting Places  
Similar topics
Latest topics
» New to Sydney, no bike yet
Mon Aug 07 2017, 10:31 by kurviger

» New young rider in Sydney
Mon Aug 07 2017, 00:56 by Tomosapien

» Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil
Wed Jul 26 2017, 19:37 by BOB88R

» New to Bikes
Thu Jun 22 2017, 16:17 by chuckchunder

» New member from The Illawarra
Sat Jun 17 2017, 11:09 by Pete

» Return to the fold
Fri Mar 31 2017, 07:42 by Ed

Wed Dec 07 2016, 02:26 by Danielle143

» in the riverina
Sun Oct 30 2016, 23:27 by Jasen Doidge

» Hello Everybody
Fri Feb 12 2016, 07:24 by jd

» Hello everyone !!
Sun Jan 31 2016, 09:39 by Ed

Share | 

wannabe biker

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JuniorJason

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-09-17
Male

PostSubject: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 19:24

First topic message reminder :

hey guys just thought i would introduce myself, just wanted some opinions from some experienced riders.

OK so here we go.

I'm Jason from Illawarra. 16 (close enough to 17), currently working as an operator at cleary brothers quarry, but will be returning to school in the year 2010 to complete years 11 and 12. I got my L's as soon as I could and completed all my hours (120) within 5 months of driving.

I have a great appreciation for mechanics and mechanical limitations etc, mainly from my work at the quarry but also from owning my own car (Dotson 120y)

The reason I'm here is I'm pretty keen on buying a bike to ride around on, to and from work etc. Now my father, who rode bikes for 25+ years says there is no way I'm getting a bike because of other dangerous road users. Now, so far this topic isn't even open for discussion but if I catch him in a good mood I might be able to have a try for 5 minutes ( wish me luck ).

He might also be worried that being young and possibly stupid I would hoon around and come off , now if i wanted to hoon around I would have bought a v6 comodore not a 1.2L datsun.

I have experience handling bikes on the dirt my brother even let me ride his 2002 yz250 ( more then once BTW ) but I do know getting on the road is totally different book.

But is the age of 16 and 9 months too young to be riding a bike on the road?

I have been told to wait until I at least have my green P's because I will have gained more experience on the road, is this good advice?

Is there any pre riders courses in the Wollongong area anyone would advise me going to?

Many thanks in advance, I'm hoping to one day be part of this forum as a rider!

Jason

P.S my dream bike is Honda CBR250rr any year, or hyosung GT250r
but I would even buy a ct110 postie if this would mean getting my bike learners!

edit - would also like some criticism, thanks.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Kris

Number of posts : 2542
Registration date : 2008-08-19
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 19:30

Jason $800 budget is good enough .... HJC helmet is around $249 find for some Discount around and search some topics on this website that we went to the guy who are selling lot of staffs, jacket, pants, gloves on Ebay website from his garage with lower prices.

Riding should be fun.
Riding within your limits makes it enjoyable.
Riding over the limits is challenging and risk yourself.

NSW Rider Member # 1

Last edited by Kris on Fri Sep 18 2009, 19:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
b1b2

Number of posts : 3510
Registration date : 2008-08-05
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 19:42

1. Welcome !
2. Do what you love (riding bikes) but be aware of the higher vulnerability, risk & danger riding on public roads.
3. Dont buy HJC - I had one and thats enough, the liners got soft like in a year then lost shape, then i felt my head was resting on something hard. Base model AGV is same price as HJC and imo has better quality.

Mark has a topic on the gear spending, see how most of us kitted: Mark's gear review

all the best!

Last edited by b1b2 on Fri Sep 18 2009, 19:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.it
JuniorJason

Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 19:46

hi guys would someone please tell me about all this HJC, AGV jibba jabba,

and ok i must admit datsuns are pretty fun

mine used to be an auto but since owning it have put in a 5 speed man,
lets just say i try my hardest to keep up with traffic, this includes 3.5 grand revs in first, some swift fly wheel - clutch speed matching into second, 4 grand into 3rd haha oh what fun you can have in a datsun.. forgot to mention the lightweight

dude check out this forum datsun1200.com, some great info there

back to bikes. i guess i will have to see what i can buy with what kind of money before i go spending any just to get an idea

so i had a chat with dad and hes idea is, he isnt keen on me having a bike and realy hopes i wait until im atleast 18 before i buy a bike because of on road experience etc. but will not stop me and will respect my decision maybe just not support it
he also told me about one of his mates losing a leg, another one he used to work with getting stuck under his bike after slipping on some dust at work carpark.

i explained im not out to go fast or show off but just enjoy riding and i think he understands that

so now its all on me and i have some thinking to do.
cheers guys
Back to top Go down
Cameron

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2008-08-17
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 20:07

We're all here to help
Back to top Go down
Kris

Number of posts : 2542
Registration date : 2008-08-19
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 20:08

b1b2 wrote:

3. Dont buy HJC - I had one and thats enough, the liners got soft like in a year then lost shape, then i felt my head was resting on something hard. Base model AGV is same price as HJC and imo has better quality.

Woot... I got 2 HJC helmet and quite happy to wear it everyday even over a year ... and I bought another new HJC for new look and new pattern... Cool, I guest this is coming down to individuals like or not , again don't worry on what oldman say.... just try it first, compare and if you are happy with go ahead and buy it's you own money... pirat

Riding should be fun.
Riding within your limits makes it enjoyable.
Riding over the limits is challenging and risk yourself.

NSW Rider Member # 1
Back to top Go down
JuniorJason

Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 20:23

haha yes im getting the same response from my 2 older brothers. dont worry about the oldboy, they both wanted bikes at my age but never ended up with one,

but im afraid that what he has to say about road experience is nothing but true,

anyway i have time on my hands luckily im patient! sussing out some gear on the net at the moment
cheers
Back to top Go down
63special

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2009-06-27
Female

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 20:34

tcha! A cheap helmet is exactly that, a cheap helmet. Jason, you get what you pay for, quality-wise, and I just don't believe on skimping when it comes to saving my precious skin. Also bear in mind that we are more likely to have accidents in our first year of riding than later on, so you need the good stuff straight up.

On the topic of your dad's attitude I totally understand where he is coming from and I am so happy that he won't stop you from living your dream. My brother was killed on his bike - t-boned by a 17 year old in a 4WD. He went head first into a concrete barricade, had a brain haemorrage [sh*t I don't know how to spell that word], went into a coma and never came out. I really miss my bro but my mum...well she didn't come anywhere near getting over it and died nine months after him. So, I think I can guess how your dad is feeling. On the other hand, you can't let fear rule your life. So don't be fearful, be watchful.

All the best. Smile
Back to top Go down
JuniorJason

Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 20:51

truely sorry to hear you lost your brother in such a way, you must have a strong passion getting back on your bike after such an unfortunate event.

will definately invest in a good helmet
all this will come in time

how much do you guys pay for rego and insurance each year?
i know its going to be diferent for a learner or a provisional rider but just after an idea

as you may have read i plan on returning to school next year and will need a job to support owning a car and potentialy a bike!

cant wait to join you bunch on a ride sometime,
many thanks
Back to top Go down
timmah

Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2009-04-09
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 21:05

rego and insurance for me is about $700 a year but only have 3rd party . with the helmets you cant go past arai or shoei, they are the best on the market but also very much on the pricy side of things. i have an arai vector in a plain matt black and it cost me $730. have a look at AGV they are pretty good and a bit cheeper on average. but like 63special sed don't cut corners. my whole kit comes to a total of around $2000 and it's well worth it. example, i came off my bke a few weeks ago and all i ended up with was a few bruses and a bit of skin off here and there but my gear is also full leather wich is more expencive but offers much more protection.
Back to top Go down
Hayles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-09-16
Female

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 21:15

Here's another link for ya Jason - the MAA Green Slip comparison machine. Green slip insurers for bikes are just as random as for cars but basically they base their rates on engine capacity as well as their other mystery criteria i.e. one price block up to 250, another up to 600ish etc...

For my VTR I think CTP was $140, about $100 to the RTA + $17 for the pink slip... bearing in mind I'm three JDs in and my memory is crap even when I'm sober but I'm in the ballpark at least with those numbers.

Fully comp. insurance is of course another chunk of change on top of the basics but you can see the insurer's names on the MAA website above and go to them directly for comprehensive quotes. Another popular option that isn't quite as expensive is "3rd party, fire & theft" which covers you for any damage you might cause others & their property but only covers your bike if it is nicked ... or bursts into flame??

Helmets - Arai & Shoei do seem to have great reputations but they're no good to you if you don't have an Arai- or Shoei-shaped head. Get into the shops and try all brands / models til you find the one that fits you best and is still from a reputable maker. The shop staff should be able to show you how to check for great fit but basically try to twist it from side to side with your head inside it and try to wrench it off from the back of your neck while strapped up. These are the kind of forces a nasty off can put through your helmet so you need to check them out.

And everyone has a biking horror story whether they be riders or not. As 63special very rightly says, you can't let your life be ruled by fear but a little caution is always healthy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   

Back to top Go down

wannabe biker
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2