NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders

Created by riders for riders, to discuss and organise rides, social gatherings & events

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  B O M Weather MapB O M Weather Map  NSW Meeting Places NSW Meeting Places  
Similar topics
Latest topics
» New to Sydney, no bike yet
Mon Aug 07 2017, 10:31 by kurviger

» New young rider in Sydney
Mon Aug 07 2017, 00:56 by Tomosapien

» Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil
Wed Jul 26 2017, 19:37 by BOB88R

» New to Bikes
Thu Jun 22 2017, 16:17 by chuckchunder

» New member from The Illawarra
Sat Jun 17 2017, 11:09 by Pete

» Return to the fold
Fri Mar 31 2017, 07:42 by Ed

Wed Dec 07 2016, 02:26 by Danielle143

» in the riverina
Sun Oct 30 2016, 23:27 by Jasen Doidge

» Hello Everybody
Fri Feb 12 2016, 07:24 by jd

» Hello everyone !!
Sun Jan 31 2016, 09:39 by Ed

Share | 

wannabe biker

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JuniorJason

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-09-17
Male

PostSubject: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 19:24

hey guys just thought i would introduce myself, just wanted some opinions from some experienced riders.

OK so here we go.

I'm Jason from Illawarra. 16 (close enough to 17), currently working as an operator at cleary brothers quarry, but will be returning to school in the year 2010 to complete years 11 and 12. I got my L's as soon as I could and completed all my hours (120) within 5 months of driving.

I have a great appreciation for mechanics and mechanical limitations etc, mainly from my work at the quarry but also from owning my own car (Dotson 120y)

The reason I'm here is I'm pretty keen on buying a bike to ride around on, to and from work etc. Now my father, who rode bikes for 25+ years says there is no way I'm getting a bike because of other dangerous road users. Now, so far this topic isn't even open for discussion but if I catch him in a good mood I might be able to have a try for 5 minutes ( wish me luck ).

He might also be worried that being young and possibly stupid I would hoon around and come off , now if i wanted to hoon around I would have bought a v6 comodore not a 1.2L datsun.

I have experience handling bikes on the dirt my brother even let me ride his 2002 yz250 ( more then once BTW ) but I do know getting on the road is totally different book.

But is the age of 16 and 9 months too young to be riding a bike on the road?

I have been told to wait until I at least have my green P's because I will have gained more experience on the road, is this good advice?

Is there any pre riders courses in the Wollongong area anyone would advise me going to?

Many thanks in advance, I'm hoping to one day be part of this forum as a rider!

Jason

P.S my dream bike is Honda CBR250rr any year, or hyosung GT250r
but I would even buy a ct110 postie if this would mean getting my bike learners!

edit - would also like some criticism, thanks.
Back to top Go down
63special

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2009-06-27
Female

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 19:35

Jason, you sound incredibly mature for your age. With an attitude like that you just can't go wrong. It is true that nothing can beat having road experience and there is also no doubt that if you are going to have an accident you will most likely come out better in a car than on a bike. If you do go ahead and get a bike I would definitely recommend hanging out with more experienced road users who will be happy to share their wisdom with you. I wish you heaps of luck and look forward to the day when you can join NSWR on a ride Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin

Number of posts : 6588
Registration date : 2008-08-04
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 19:41

Hi and welcome Jason. As a father, I can appreciate what your dad is saying. Something you will have work out together.

Is 17 too early. I was riding just after that, but they were different days back then. It's not so much about age, but maturity. Seems to me you have a good attitude and understanding of the demands of riding along with the consequences. And btw, you don't sound the hoon type.

I would wait for your green P's. You have many years of riding ahead of you. Don't rush it.

NSW Rider Member # 3
FarRider Member # 481
FR10 # 16 Euston NSW
FR10 # 17 Eungella QLD
FR10 # 18 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 # 19 Lightning Ridge NSW
FR10 # 20 Renmark SA
FR10 # 22 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 # 23 Bathurst NSW (via Wagga)
FR12 # 26 Mallacoota Vic
FR12 Gold # 28 Nambucca Heads NSW
FR10 #30 Cooroy QLD
FR10 # 37 Texas QLD
Back to top Go down
JuniorJason

Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 19:49

hi guys thanks for your fast reply's
i had a talk to some blokes at work one (a truck driver) who has had some previous racing experience and he also said nothing beats road experience.

they mostly ride h-davidsons and big tourers at work, one guy has even made it around australia on his bike.

and gave me some tips about where to be posistioned in lanes when following cars etc.
he also didnt cut short the lecture about limitations!

just going to have a quick look on the net for riding courses i think its a good idea.
but i am also considering waiting until maybe a more appropriate time when i have had some more road use

thanks again for your opinions
Jason
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 20:12

hi jason welcome to the site,i have told this story lots of times with the guys here over lunch on a ride day,so here we go again.when i was a single bloke i rode bikes,then one day the Evil Dragon of Lidcombe came along and i have been happily maniculed ever since,the first thing to get the Arse was my bike quickly followed by every mate i ever had.So about 4 years ago my youngest son 17 said to me "dad i wanna get a motorbike"so i say ok mate i'll get one too.I search around come up with"two honda vtr 250s brand new 16000 ride away,with helmets jackets boots gloves the whole lot youbeaut.this is from a shop in bathurst.a few weeks go by and i say to him,lets go to parramatta Action and have a look in the flesh.iwalk in the door and see all these beautiful bikes lined up and i looked at my son said mate i am so sorry you cant have a bike coz i'm gettin that one,a cbr600f4i.He was shattered,to make things worse the other day i picked up my latest bike gsxr1000,

so jason the lesson here is simple,dont listen to your olman just get out there and get a bike,worry about gettin grounded later.ps the cbr 250 rr
Back to top Go down
MoNo_MaN

Number of posts : 3538
Registration date : 2009-03-02
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 20:34

Welcome Jason

I am only 21 and have been riding since Decemeber but have clocked up about 14000km in that time commuting to work in heavy traffic and cruising with the guys on this forum on some awesome roads on the weekends.

I am still on my green P's (car) but I think I can go get my full licence now (not exactly sure ). While learning to ride the bike and getting good at navigating corners is relatively easy it still takes alot of concentration and much of your attention. Getting used to avoiding traffic is not so easy and the consequences of not avoiding traffic can range from minor to fatal.

I can't imagine getting used to riding a bike while getting used to being on the road while getting used to cars who never see you all at the same time. I would suggest that waiting at least a year so you have some more experience on the road would be a smart idea as the road craft you learn from driving should be mostly reflexive by then.

In saying that, there is no harm in going for your bike L's now. You do a two day course where they teach you the basics of riding and how to be safe on the road. Just because you have the license doesn't mean you need to use it, it might be a good way to warm your parents up to the idea.

The other advantage to this that you are restricted to you P's for 3 years now on a bike, just like cars. For this period you can't have pillions, can't drink, can't use blue tooth and have to have a bike under a certain power limit (if you are after a sports bike this mostly means 250's). If you get your L's now, and then you do the P's course in 3 months you will start cutting into those 3 years.

When I got my bike i figured I wouldn't need anything bigger than a 250 for ages, but while I completely agree with the fact that you should have to start on something small, I now can't wait till I can buy a bigger bike. Not because I want to ride like a crazy man, more because I want some useable power down low which a 250 can't provide

All this is just what I have experienced and what I think the best way to aproach riding at a young age is, in the end you will need to do what you feel is best for you.

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2009-06-06
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 20:52

very well put mono , i could not of said better and i am way older than you.
Back to top Go down
wid

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2009-01-08
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 20:55

what up g...

i started at same age.. though, didnt have to get my lincense, cause i was in the army and just got to transfer my army licenses over hehehe..

if you just ride within your own limits... she'll be apples...

remember, you are riding for your own enjoyment, not for anyone elses... no one ever needs to feel they need to prove themselves to anyone when riding a bike. (as in going too fast, doing wheelies, etc.. showing off isnt cool!, unless you are tryingt o keep up with Will!) i joke :p
Back to top Go down
wid

Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 20:56

Chris just wants a bigger bike cause he is sick of me passing him on the straights.. lol
Back to top Go down
VFR

Number of posts : 3762
Registration date : 2008-08-17
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 22:26

first of all, welcome Jason cheers

JuniorJason wrote:

But is the age of 16 and 9 months too young to be riding a bike on the road?

i havnt read what others have typed yet but id say if you have experience handling a bike then you should be ok as long as you take it easy and learn as you go.

it sounds like a similar situation i was in when in highschool, my old man didnt want me to get a bike as i had planned to when i was 16/9months and it got delayed and delayed until he found a cheap car for me to drive around in instead..
but the itch was there and needed to be scratched so eventually i ended up on two wheels..

Quote :

I have been told to wait until I at least have my green P's because I will have gained more experience on the road, is this good advice?

i would say that is good advice in a way... it gives you some road skill and learn what other road users will do in certain situations etc... but you will be in a cage and have some protection.

Quote :

P.S my dream bike is Honda CBR250rr any year, or hyosung GT250r
but I would even buy a ct110 postie if this would mean getting my bike learners!

edit - would also like some criticism, thanks.

stick with the honda Cool

a postie wouldnt be too bad an idea if its suitable for you..

what dirt bikes have you ridden/learnt on??

i learnt on a CT125 (like a postie but AG version) and had quite a lot of fun in the process..
then jumped to 250s and then to 400s and now 800s.
Back to top Go down
DJ cornerman X dream

Number of posts : 1325
Registration date : 2009-02-16
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 22:46

Jason your the most literate 16 y/o that I have ever encountered on a web forum. Good luck with persuading your dad to get permission to ride a bike. I had the same issue when I was your age but circumstances changed and eventually my parents accepted me riding a bike.

Personally I hold the view that all young people should be able to ride small bike up to 100cc around their neighborhoods to gain road skills and make their parents slow down

Welcome
Back to top Go down
Hayles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-09-16
Female

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Thu Sep 17 2009, 22:48

This is the list of RTA approved learner training centres which are scattered all over the shop.

Stay Upright also offer some practical training courses for all levels of road riding (which I still intend to book into myself one of these days...)

Girls Ride Out have an arrangement with HART in Sydney for pre-Ps test training which is free to GRO members.

There are many options out there in addition to the very useful suggestions posted above to prepare yourself as well as you possibly can to get on two wheels. When you do speak to your Dad again tell him about all the training options out there and try to get him to see you're serious about doing it right.

Two main points though...

*don't rush it, as stated above. There's a lot to be said for general road & traffic awareness which still has to be cranked way up when you ride.
*when you feel you're ready, factor the best possible safety kit into your budget... if this does only leave you with the funds for a CT so be it but there's no point buying a super stylish bike and getting around in shorts and sneakers

Oh... and don't be lured in by the CBR250s they flog off for $10K in Melbourne... no matter what year model they tell you they are, they can't be any newer than late 80s with flash fairings whacked on for the cashed-up learners
Back to top Go down
timmah

Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2009-04-09
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 08:11

welcome to the forum Jason
i actually had my bike licence before my cage licence, mainly because the bike was the only means of transport i could afford at that point. like everyone else has sed, take your time and don't rush things. like they say, all good things come to those who wait. also, some thing i have lernt is always listen to the old codgers with 25+ yeras of road experiance, they have forgotten more than us young wipper snappers will ever know. my old man is 59 with 35+ years experance and even though he is pushing 60 i still can't catch him.
Back to top Go down
scott

Number of posts : 1263
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 08:18

Welcome Jason

I dont think i can add anymore wisdom to your subject on top of what all the other guys have said. Im only new to biking but wish i had done it alot earlier. You cant explain the feeling to people who dont ride

My wife wouldnt let me have a bike but my new girlfriend does.
Back to top Go down
Cameron

Number of posts : 778
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 17:36

Welcome mate. I was riding before i turned 17...i didnt have my P's for my car.
As long as you are aware off the dangers out on the road, you should be fine.
You need about 1 million eyes out on the road but we only got 2.... so use them well.
Back to top Go down
Kris

Number of posts : 2542
Registration date : 2008-08-19
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 17:49

trevor wrote:

so jason the lesson here is simple,dont listen to your olman just get out there and get a bike,worry about gettin grounded later.ps the cbr 250 rr

Oiiii... I'm not too sure if that is the right why.... What a Face geek

Jason, welcome to the website all of your Sister's and Brother's has spoken clearly here... lol! all I can say safety is a must when riding a bike... Cool

Riding should be fun.
Riding within your limits makes it enjoyable.
Riding over the limits is challenging and risk yourself.

NSW Rider Member # 1

Last edited by Kris on Fri Sep 18 2009, 19:17; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
JuniorJason

Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 17:53

hey guys big thanks for the great response
special thanks to hayles for posting up the websites im about to browse through them shortly.

i have put in some deep thought about my decision to buy a bike and i have decided if i do go ahead i want a nice bike and the best gear to go with it,

also i still have around a month from now to decide due to the money side of things, i should have dad convinced by then aswell =p

could anyone give me an idea of how much i would expect to pay head to toe for some nice gear
im talking helmet, jacket, riding pants and boots

thanks again guys its good to hear what some riders have to say
Jason
Back to top Go down
MoNo_MaN

Number of posts : 3538
Registration date : 2009-03-02
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 17:58

Don't forget gloves

Most places sell packages of gear (i.e. jacket, gloves, helmet, pants) but most places would also just let you pick what you want and give you a discount for buying in bulk as well.

I would say about $1000 for all the gear. You could get away with spending $500 and you could easily spend $2000+. Just depends on your budget.

Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 18:07

yes gloves also!
i would like to set a budget of maybe $800 for all the gear
but like i said i want to do things right from the start and have some saving to do first

thanks alot
Jason
Back to top Go down
Cameron

Number of posts : 778
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 18:11

You can get a pretty good kit for 800. Its not a bad budget.
Back to top Go down
63special

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2009-06-27
Female

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 18:29

$500! affraid

Gaerne Black Rose boots - $350
Dri-Rider gloves - $80
Kevlar Hornee Jeans - $200 [with discount]
Summer jacket with armour - $200 [with discount]
Arai Vector helmet - $500 [with discount] [can't get them for less than $700 at the mo] [and if you want a fancy-ass patterned Shoei look at $1000]
+
thermals - $50
Bering winter jacket - $400+
Neck-warmer/balaclava - $25

I personally think I got a pretty good price on all my gear. You need both winter and summer weight gear too. I haven't got any summer gloves yet and every time I take off my winter gloves lately I can't get them back on until the sweat has dried Razz I'm currently saving up for leathers....mmm...leather...

Dude, I don't think I would feel too safe wearing $500 worth of gear. Like the salesman said, if you've got a $10 head buy a $10 helmet. Laughing
Back to top Go down
(ZIP)Ty

Number of posts : 1406
Registration date : 2008-08-18
Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 18:56

Hi Jason Welcome
Buddy I got mine when I was 16 and 9 months.
Had been on dirt bikes from the age of about 8
so when I could I got my road bike which back then was a Honda VT250.
good luck with it mate
Hope to see you out there soon
Back to top Go down
seeikilledyou

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-09-04
Female

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 19:21

welcome! I have a datsun 120y too!! mines getting turbo'd next week. W00t.
now... i started riding before i got my car P's.. and still fail the driving test. but the point is riding is riding. your faster, and more nimble and so long as your reaction speed is up to date and you can observe possible incidents before the happen you'll be sweet. it's heaps of fun. granted i'm at a disadvantage because i lack road experience i still do alright. just from observing i would say the more road experience you have the more advantage you will have. but apart from that it shouldn't make much difference.
rjays (striker) helmet $135
rjays (summer) gloves $50 (discounted)
rjays leather jacket $150 (discounted)
my mum likes to make sure she's going to live and come out with less gravel rash hence the spending more money on protective gear. depends on how much you think your worth and whether there's a sale, and whether you get a really nice sales person who gives you cool discounts.
Get on a bike soon. they're so much better than a datsun!
Back to top Go down
wid

Male

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 19:23

seeikilledyou wrote:

i dunno... been rally driving in a dato? what a buzz.

i dont mean paddock bashing either lol
Back to top Go down
seeikilledyou

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-09-04
Female

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   Fri Sep 18 2009, 19:27

wid wrote:
seeikilledyou wrote:

i dunno... been rally driving in a dato? what a buzz.

i havn't no. it will be getting raced once it's turbo'd though. sliding out on corners?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wannabe biker   

Back to top Go down

wannabe biker
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next